Get that first line out I tell myself. Once those first few words crawl their horizontal way across that new white screen, it will start to seem effortless. Unfortunately I can't say it's like riding a bicycle and that it will come back naturally. You see, I have never ridden a bike. So I don't know how that feels. All this time and inactivity now seems like a colossal waste. Then again, maybe not.
I have no idea why things turned out the way they did. But one thing's for sure - I am responsible. For everything that's transpired and taken place. It's all been me. And along the way, I learned what I believe is life's greatest lesson - Never try to live a life different from the one you really want. Never expect that if you do things long enough, they will fall into place or start making sense. That never happens. Eventually, you will not know how to go on and you will just stop. Like I did. I now feel like a passenger who took the wrong train and then got off midway. Now I'm waiting at the station. I'm not sure if I should hop on to another train, try a different route or just go back. I feel ill-equipped to make a decision, a choice, a display of my feelings. I feel ill-equipped to go on living.
All my life I never really had a plan. I never had any set goals or objectives. I just remember wanting to move....to move out of my parents' house, move out of college, move out of the country, move on to the next situation, relationship or fix. I just wanted to move on with life. I had certain ambitions but never really planned out ways and means to fulfill them, to achieve what I had my heart set on, to accomplish things that I could look back on in a tangible sense that would would somehow make them seem truer. I figured that I would get what I wanted just because I had my heart set on them. All I had to do was get from one day to the next. So an agenda I had none, and definitely no time lines. But I do recall there was a certain way I had hoped my life would be. Needless to add, I didn't let any of it happen.
I took the much trodden road (not by me, but by the world at large) thinking that it would somehow lead me to where I truly belong. I often think about this line from Alice in Wonderland that struck a chord - When you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. Yet, romantic as the notion may sound, it's not always true.
Which brings me back to my present position. Exactly a year ago I fulfilled a long desired wish to go to Sikkim, the beautiful mountain state. A few days before I embarked on the journey I thought to myself, this trip is going to change my life. And it did. I'm not going to write about the experience of being in Sikkim and Darjeeling for that matter, and what changed me. That's a given.
And so I returned to a state of complete and utter shutdown. I haven't been able to write, work, or feel. I decided I would not do anything new or even the tried and tested unless I wanted to or felt compelled to. I'm still waiting. I don't know how long this is going to continue. The wrong train, stuck at the station metaphor describes it best I guess.
But yesterday I started writing this blog post. And this morning I drew a sketch of the wooden man on my desk. And later I picked up Sartre's Les Mots and started reading again. One thing stays the same. James Blunt's Back to the Bedlam is the only music I have been voluntarily listening to these last few months. And now as I wind up this post, Wisemen continues to stream out of my somewhat weary laptop. Maybe it says a lot about my state of mental being, or maybe it points to my laziness when it comes to changing the playlist on my Winamp.
Your guess is as good as mine.
About Me
- The Cloudcutter
- Bombay, India
Featured Post
It's been too long, she says. My muse, she waits...
Blogging has been a wonderful refuge for my soul over the past 13 years* ; it's a place I've come to sometimes frequently, some...
Labels
People
(135)
Clouds
(111)
Me
(108)
Declassified
(64)
Pictures
(62)
Nothings
(60)
You
(58)
Unfinished Lives
(51)
Past
(46)
Music
(43)
Reflections
(41)
Food
(36)
Humour
(31)
Dreams
(29)
Movies
(28)
Coming to terms
(22)
Places
(22)
Questions
(21)
Writing
(20)
Rants
(19)
Dad
(18)
Hindi
(9)
Short Story
(9)
Conversations
(8)
Grandpa
(5)
Seven
(3)
First Attempt
(2)
Blog Archive
-
►
2024
(1)
- ► January 2024 (1)
-
►
2023
(3)
- ► September 2023 (1)
- ► February 2023 (2)
-
►
2021
(1)
- ► December 2021 (1)
-
►
2019
(13)
- ► March 2019 (1)
- ► February 2019 (2)
- ► January 2019 (2)
-
►
2018
(33)
- ► December 2018 (1)
- ► October 2018 (7)
- ► September 2018 (5)
- ► August 2018 (3)
- ► April 2018 (1)
- ► March 2018 (6)
- ► February 2018 (3)
-
►
2017
(37)
- ► December 2017 (9)
- ► November 2017 (7)
- ► October 2017 (2)
- ► September 2017 (6)
- ► August 2017 (4)
- ► March 2017 (1)
- ► February 2017 (1)
- ► January 2017 (3)
-
►
2016
(37)
- ► December 2016 (4)
- ► November 2016 (4)
- ► October 2016 (2)
- ► September 2016 (4)
- ► August 2016 (2)
- ► April 2016 (11)
- ► March 2016 (6)
- ► February 2016 (3)
-
►
2015
(71)
- ► December 2015 (3)
- ► November 2015 (5)
- ► October 2015 (6)
- ► September 2015 (13)
- ► August 2015 (2)
- ► April 2015 (8)
- ► March 2015 (3)
- ► February 2015 (15)
-
►
2012
(8)
- ► December 2012 (1)
- ► October 2012 (7)
-
►
2011
(36)
- ► November 2011 (2)
- ► October 2011 (2)
- ► September 2011 (2)
- ► August 2011 (7)
- ► April 2011 (5)
- ► March 2011 (5)
- ► February 2011 (5)
- ► January 2011 (3)
-
►
2010
(100)
- ► December 2010 (6)
- ► October 2010 (3)
- ► September 2010 (11)
- ► August 2010 (9)
- ► April 2010 (6)
- ► March 2010 (7)
- ► February 2010 (13)
- ► January 2010 (19)
-
►
2009
(115)
- ► December 2009 (20)
- ► November 2009 (22)
- ► October 2009 (18)
- ► September 2009 (9)
- ► August 2009 (4)
- ► March 2009 (6)
- ► February 2009 (9)
- ► January 2009 (6)
-
►
2008
(30)
- ► November 2008 (6)
- ► October 2008 (3)
- ► April 2008 (5)
- ► March 2008 (3)
- ► February 2008 (1)
-
▼
2007
(62)
- ► November 2007 (3)
- ► October 2007 (6)
- ► September 2007 (6)
- ► August 2007 (13)
- ► March 2007 (2)
-
►
2006
(11)
- ► April 2006 (1)
- ► March 2006 (8)
Popular Posts
-
Yesterday while I was taking a shower, my mind was suddenly flooded with recollections of all the times I've been asked for "writin...
-
You look so good in all shades of blue until one rainy morning I witness white cotton sitting gently on your shoulders bringing out the glo...
-
Last night, while chatting with Marmalade, I typed - "I thought I knew all there is to know about love until I met him." She f...
-
You would always be a force to reckon with I remember the day I decided to put you away for good. The day I wiped you clean w...
-
It happens to everyone. No matter how different you think you are or hope to be, there comes a point when your mouth automatically s...
-
At the threshold of being and becoming As I sit at my worn-out old desk and write, the coffee dregs at the bottom of my chipped ...
-
is when you make a decent chocolate cake for the person you love the most in the world and everyone eats it and loves it and then you decide...
-
Ask any self-respecting Goan, worth his or her weight in coconut, what would they like as their last meal and this is the answer you will ...
-
My parents are visting me and I showed Dad the blog posts I did about Grandpa ( Here and here ). He is very intrigued by this whole "b...
-
And in the end, we will count all the things we didn't do. While other lovers piece together moments to map their memories, we will fli...
No comments:
Post a Comment