As a child, I did not like the recently concluded Ganesh festival. I found it too noisy and couldn't understand why they had to drown the beautiful idols at the end of it all. I still don't like the noise but I love looking at the elaborate idols put up across the city (still feel sad when they immerse them in water!). And for some reason I feel drawn towards this serene looking, elephant-faced God. So a couple of days before the festival ended, earlier this week, I visited some of the idols in the vicinity and took some pictures. I wish I had a better camera and stronger legs. I would have put the pix up sooner but I have been battling a faulty broadband connection, a baby rat running across my living room, and a terrible dose of gloom. But here they are now. Click on the pix for larger view (you knew that already didn't you?)
This is Bombay's richest idol, in Wadala. Apparently that's real gold, especially the hands! Obviously, he is spared the immersions. I literally had to click while being shoved around like cattle, so all the pix came out blurred except for these two. Unfortunately, I could not go up front since I had not made a seva booking, i.e. shelled out moolah. Now we know why he's the richest :-)
My favourite idol this year, right outside Matunga station (Central Railway). I think it's because it's the first one I saw. He looks really sweet and peaceful.
This was really beautiful to look at. My simple point-and-shoot camera and non-existent photographic skills couldn't do justice. You just had to be there. This was also in Matunga.
The big kahuna of Matunga. Very different from the others but nice and kitschy all the same. He had more visitors than the others I went to (except for the richest one in Wadala).
2 comments:
me too me too
i mean i love going around to see which idol i like the most too thats all ;)
PS: guess what the word verification on this one is? "hydear" its hilarious!
Hydear! Some of them are really funny. Makes me wonder if there are these mischievous little elves sitting and churning them out.
Post a Comment