Loneliness
There's so much of it out there that it's no longer out there. It's inside and all around us. And it seems to attack just when you are no longer alone. I used to feel lonely, sometimes abandoned even, when I was surrounded by people. I'm living alone, by myself, for the first time in my life. But now I rarely ever feel lonely. Maybe it is just a side-effect of my illness, but maybe it's much more than that. For the times we live in, being alone is probably the best antidote to loneliness.
I just read a poem about loneliness, on a website where people leave comments on their favourite poems by their favourite poets. Everyone left similar messages to the poet - Thank you. Reading this made me feel like there's someone out there who shares my loneliness. It's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling lonesome.
There is a sea of loneliness out there and everyone is swimming in it.
So, why do we feel lonely when there are so many of us? It's a world that is so fast and in your face that you're always bumping into people, even in the virtual world now. You have 347 friends on Facebook, 405 contacts in your phonebook, and 564 addresses in your email account but you're still lonely. You might have someone to snuggle up to in bed every night, or someone to hold your hand every morning, or someone to walk in the rain with on the weekend, but you're still lonely.
We now have a hundred different ways of connecting - home phone, office phone, mobile phone, internet phone, satellite phone, car phone, emergency phone, video phone, conference phone, email, fax, Twitter, Blogger, Facebook, Orkut - but can you really reach out to someone or let someone in? For every one of those hundred ways that people can reach you, you have a hundred ways to shut them out.
Loneliness. The great leveller. The people's project. The human stain. Does your dog or cat ever feel lonely? Does the lion in the jungle ever hop over to the herd of bison and sing Are You Lonesome Tonight? Does a fruit fly ever think Man, these have been the loneliest 30 minutes of my life?
Chances are they're all trying to kill each other so that they can stand alone at the end - vanquisher of the enemy, victor over the spoils, conqueror of fate - while we're all, you know... feeling lonely.
About Me
- The Cloudcutter
- Bombay, India
Featured Post
It's been too long, she says. My muse, she waits...
Blogging has been a wonderful refuge for my soul over the past 13 years* ; it's a place I've come to sometimes frequently, some...
Labels
People
(135)
Clouds
(111)
Me
(108)
Declassified
(64)
Pictures
(62)
Nothings
(60)
You
(58)
Unfinished Lives
(51)
Past
(46)
Music
(43)
Reflections
(41)
Food
(36)
Humour
(31)
Dreams
(29)
Movies
(28)
Coming to terms
(22)
Places
(22)
Questions
(21)
Writing
(20)
Rants
(19)
Dad
(18)
Hindi
(9)
Short Story
(9)
Conversations
(8)
Grandpa
(5)
Seven
(3)
First Attempt
(2)
Blog Archive
-
►
2024
(1)
- ► January 2024 (1)
-
►
2023
(3)
- ► September 2023 (1)
- ► February 2023 (2)
-
►
2021
(1)
- ► December 2021 (1)
-
►
2019
(13)
- ► March 2019 (1)
- ► February 2019 (2)
- ► January 2019 (2)
-
►
2018
(33)
- ► December 2018 (1)
- ► October 2018 (7)
- ► September 2018 (5)
- ► August 2018 (3)
- ► April 2018 (1)
- ► March 2018 (6)
- ► February 2018 (3)
-
►
2017
(37)
- ► December 2017 (9)
- ► November 2017 (7)
- ► October 2017 (2)
- ► September 2017 (6)
- ► August 2017 (4)
- ► March 2017 (1)
- ► February 2017 (1)
- ► January 2017 (3)
-
►
2016
(37)
- ► December 2016 (4)
- ► November 2016 (4)
- ► October 2016 (2)
- ► September 2016 (4)
- ► August 2016 (2)
- ► April 2016 (11)
- ► March 2016 (6)
- ► February 2016 (3)
-
►
2015
(71)
- ► December 2015 (3)
- ► November 2015 (5)
- ► October 2015 (6)
- ► September 2015 (13)
- ► August 2015 (2)
- ► April 2015 (8)
- ► March 2015 (3)
- ► February 2015 (15)
-
►
2012
(8)
- ► December 2012 (1)
- ► October 2012 (7)
-
►
2011
(36)
- ► November 2011 (2)
- ► October 2011 (2)
- ► September 2011 (2)
- ► August 2011 (7)
- ► April 2011 (5)
- ► March 2011 (5)
- ► February 2011 (5)
- ► January 2011 (3)
-
►
2010
(100)
- ► December 2010 (6)
- ► October 2010 (3)
- ► September 2010 (11)
- ► August 2010 (9)
- ► April 2010 (6)
- ► March 2010 (7)
- ► February 2010 (13)
- ► January 2010 (19)
-
▼
2009
(115)
- ► December 2009 (20)
- ► November 2009 (22)
- ► October 2009 (18)
- ▼ September 2009 (9)
- ► August 2009 (4)
- ► March 2009 (6)
- ► February 2009 (9)
- ► January 2009 (6)
-
►
2008
(30)
- ► November 2008 (6)
- ► October 2008 (3)
- ► April 2008 (5)
- ► March 2008 (3)
- ► February 2008 (1)
-
►
2007
(62)
- ► November 2007 (3)
- ► October 2007 (6)
- ► September 2007 (6)
- ► August 2007 (13)
- ► March 2007 (2)
- ► January 2007 (4)
-
►
2006
(11)
- ► April 2006 (1)
- ► March 2006 (8)
Popular Posts
-
Yesterday while I was taking a shower, my mind was suddenly flooded with recollections of all the times I've been asked for "writin...
-
You look so good in all shades of blue until one rainy morning I witness white cotton sitting gently on your shoulders bringing out the glo...
-
Last night, while chatting with Marmalade, I typed - "I thought I knew all there is to know about love until I met him." She f...
-
You would always be a force to reckon with I remember the day I decided to put you away for good. The day I wiped you clean w...
-
It happens to everyone. No matter how different you think you are or hope to be, there comes a point when your mouth automatically s...
-
At the threshold of being and becoming As I sit at my worn-out old desk and write, the coffee dregs at the bottom of my chipped ...
-
is when you make a decent chocolate cake for the person you love the most in the world and everyone eats it and loves it and then you decide...
-
Ask any self-respecting Goan, worth his or her weight in coconut, what would they like as their last meal and this is the answer you will ...
-
My parents are visting me and I showed Dad the blog posts I did about Grandpa ( Here and here ). He is very intrigued by this whole "b...
-
And in the end, we will count all the things we didn't do. While other lovers piece together moments to map their memories, we will fli...
8 comments:
why do you write things like this G? gets me thinking and thinking and thinking.
love you lots.
Who knows why I do half the things I do! Sorry :D
And I'd love you back too, if only I knew who you were. What the heck... I do love you. You actually read my blog. Now that's being brave.
P.S. Would help if I knew who you were though... You see, Marmalade is fuming cos you kinda sound like her in the comment. She thinks she's the only one who can call me G ;-)
You know who I am G. And tell Marmalade that unless she comes with little bits of rind(which I love), I don't quite care what she thinks.
Despite what Marmalade thinks, all my friends call me G or Gees. So you could be anyone, anyone at all... Sign your name, drop me a line, send me a text or call (you should have my number if you call me G and if you don't, then you have a lot of explaining to do! LOL!)
I've wondered about the same too...that with all the technology today, we still have problems communicating...connecting.
...sing Are You Lonesome Tonight?
SNORT!!!
woman you're like a chinese movie with bad subtitles. in a nice way ofcourse ;)
@Meg - Chinese movie with bad subtitles! How in the world can that be good?!?!
oh they're hilarious! i cant seem to stop watching them. i think the latest was city hunter. HILarious i tell you!
Post a Comment