When you're away from the blog too long, the general opinion is that you must have a lot happening in your life. But sometimes, it's exactly the opposite - that not much is happening! Nothing worth blogging about anyway. Yet, I am back and if nothing else, just to make a start again. As it happens so often in life, you stop doing something for a while. A day goes by, a couple more, then weeks turn into months... and before you know it, you just don't do it anymore. Can't let that happen to the one thing that's kept me afloat all these years now, can I?
Come to think of it, I was pretty occupied in the months of May and June with various friends and family visiting from overseas. One friend stayed with me for a week towards the end of June and it was a nice break from my regular life. The first night, we went to a potluck dinner that my buddy AGG and her lovely husband A had graciously hosted. It was an extreme pig out session that left us all fully satisfied and stuffed to the gills. I went bearing my classic double-cooked roast pork, and cubes of beef tenderloin in an onion- pepper-garlic gravy.
We also had AGG's delicious bacon and mushroom bake, and juicy roast chicken with herbs, baby onions and potatoes. Just as we were getting ready to lay the table A, in all his inimitable charm, rolled up his sleeves and got down to pan-grilling some fresh red snapper that he had marinated a little earlier. For dessert, there was hot apple pie with whipped cream and mishti doi (sweetened yoghurt), the former made and the latter bought by a couple of other friends of the wonderful couple.
Oh, there was some salad as well but since it was largely lettuce and/or some other kind of leaves, I stayed a mile away. If you know me well, you will know the lengths that I go to avoid raw leaves! The very thought of iceberg lettuce just makes my skin crawl, and I have to feign an allergy at restaurants or takeaways whenever I order subs, burgers, sandwiches or salads. Because no matter how many times you say "no lettuce", there is a little light in those chimpanzees' brains that flashes "lettuce, put lots of lettuce". Ugghhhh!
So anyway, after our potluck dinner we parted with promises to do it again "very soon". Of course, we all know what happens after that. Everyone gets so busy with other stuff that before you knew it, months go by until you manage to catch up again. Though, I guess it's more special because when you eventually do meet after a long gap, it's always a lot more fun. I love the idea of cooking and eating with friends, there is so much more variety to the meal and it's a beautiful representation of everyone's personalities. And the camaderie and banter in the kitchen as you're prepping or adding finishing touches is just so infectious!
The rest of the time my friend stayed over turned out to be fun too, with us going out everyday, eating out (a lot!), trying out new and old things, it was generally a lovely little holiday for me right here at home! We went to some of my favourite restaurants in the city, and also discovered a couple of new ones (for me, at least). We spent evenings looking out into the sea and chatting, and sitting inside cosy coffee shops while we watched the rain fall outside. We stayed in on a couple of nights, inventing cocktails and watching movies in the dark. We even did a day at the spa, complete with hot stone massages and silky-smooth body scrubs. One of the days, we also went for Thai reflexology foot massages, something that I absolutely swear by. I still remember the first time I ever had one, in Bangkok, it was like walking around with new feet after that!
Updates and recaps apart, I actually wanted to blog about four different things that fall into the following categories - food, sex, books, and child abuse. If I'm not back in a couple of days, remind me... please :-)
6 comments:
Good to see you back and yes take this as a reminder right away to be here more often. :)
Waiting eagerly for the 4 categories you mentioned to be populated..
Best Wishes,
HT
I find blogging is either a famine of a feast. Some days I can't get the words out fast enough and some days I can't get the words - barren.
That's a lovely rejuvenating time you've been having. It will do you a power of good.
Famine OR a feast that should be.
Thank you , Pat and Himanshu. I think I'll be more regular now.
After friends or family leave, I'm too sad or something blue, to blog.
I wonder if that's what happened to you.
Yes and no... I do get a bit sad. But I think the reason I didn't blog for so long was that I just got lazy :-)
How you doing GG?
Post a Comment