Pages

Trains


I like trains. I like the movement, the uncertainty, the sense of adventure, and the constant influx of new faces, each bringing with them their own back stories. I like sitting next to the window and enjoying the ever-changing visuals. One second you're passing through a barren landscape and the next, you find yourself in the thick of a concrete jungle. I like the way my mood changes similarly. I can drop my worries like pennies onto the tracks and feel like a new person a few metres ahead. I'm no longer sad or angry or even contemplative. I'm no longer upset by the message I'd received just before the train stopped at the last station. The train is in a different place now and so am I. My phone gets switched to offline mode and I plug in my earphones. David Gray tells me what it's like to live with both arms wide open. And I believe him. Because I'm on a train and I'm moving and nothing makes me feel more alive. As I get off at my destination, I feel a compelling need to hug the train. To say thank you. For depositing me from one end of the spectrum to another, from one home to another, and one life to another. Yes, I really like trains.

The Cloudcutter

No comments: