Your presence that day turned me into a wild unrestrained unbridled unpunctuated mess
When for so long your absence had me tethered to a post surrounded by quicksand
With you I had experienced a hiraeth of a different and more brutal kind
An inexplicable homesickness for a person I could no longer return to
An all-consuming longing for someone who wasn't in the same place I had left behind
And sometimes, a bittersweet yearning for a lover who perhaps didn't exist
So I packed you up and put you away for another lifetime
Buried you into the same quicksand that housed my memories
Until the morning you came knocking at my door in the garb of someone I didn't recognise
You unhinged me from my perfectly placid existence and flooded my senses with your being
And just when I thought I could carry out my plans to the t
You left me a living breathing mess of hope and desire with no country to belong to
Ilegal alien ancient traveller captive spirit tempestuous peddler of dreams
Which of these do I hold on to and which one do I kill
When for so long your absence had me tethered to a post surrounded by quicksand
With you I had experienced a hiraeth of a different and more brutal kind
An inexplicable homesickness for a person I could no longer return to
An all-consuming longing for someone who wasn't in the same place I had left behind
And sometimes, a bittersweet yearning for a lover who perhaps didn't exist
So I packed you up and put you away for another lifetime
Buried you into the same quicksand that housed my memories
Until the morning you came knocking at my door in the garb of someone I didn't recognise
You unhinged me from my perfectly placid existence and flooded my senses with your being
And just when I thought I could carry out my plans to the t
You left me a living breathing mess of hope and desire with no country to belong to
Ilegal alien ancient traveller captive spirit tempestuous peddler of dreams
Which of these do I hold on to and which one do I kill
1 comment:
Wonderfully worded as ever. This comes across as one of the better ones in recent times. Read it more than once and loved it every single time. Good one CC.
Post a Comment