Pages

Afternoon

I was oblivious to his presence in the coffee shop that afternoon, oblivious to him entering with his trademark quizzical expression and those carefully measured steps up to the counter. I even missed him standing rooted to the spot, thoughtfully scanning the menu on the wall before ordering the exact same thing as always – a café latte with a triple shot of espresso. I didn’t notice him until he pulled up a chair from the next table and sat down across me. I didn’t look up from my notebook and continued scribbling in green ink between the ash grey lines. But I could tell it was him from his signature perfume – the lingering traces of musk and citrus mixed with the tobacco that he had probably inhaled just seconds before entering the air-conditioned environment. Then, in the same brazen and nonchalant manner that he’d invited himself into my radar, he began speaking. At first all I could hear was white noise, which then slowly transformed into words that actually began to make sense.

I can’t recount the things he said here, mostly because I don’t remember them all but also because they are things I’d rather not repeat to another living soul. It can take decades for people to make it into your inner circle and even then, they first begin at the periphery before entering each of your outer rings. Rarely does anyone make it straight through in the first instant, rendering your existence threadbare and leaving you questioning your carefully constructed defenses. From the day we first met, he was exactly like that - a calamity of disastrous proportions, one that would make you wish you’d vaporized into nothingness before witnessing its unsettling performance.

After he left, the vacant chair began to taunt me with all the things he hadn’t said – “You coward! There isn’t a single insult in the world that you haven’t swallowed. Look at you! Your paper thin skin is perforated with every single moment you’ve let pass you by. There is no escape from the stitches of time, the needle punctures you at the very points you’d like to avoid. If you don’t stop writing now, you never will but I can tell you for sure, no matter how much ink and paper you waste with your vacuous outpourings, this is one hell you will never be able to write your way out of.” 

What else could I expect after what I’d done… His version of the story would probably mean what I’d done to him. My version would point to what I’d done to her. A third version, quite possibly the truest one, would simply just state what I’d done… At any rate, it was all about what I had done. I had done something that I find hard to believe even now but strangely enough, I know that it’s probably what came naturally to me at the time. I don’t know myself too well and have fumbled through life and relationships for a large part of my existence, but if I had to apply my limited understanding it would be clear that it was, in fact, something that only I would have done.

So there I sat on that late afternoon, at the dark coloured faux wood table against a glass front in a coffee shop with orange walls. I cracked my knuckles as I watched the specks of dust dance wildly in the steady stream of sunlight filtering in. They moved recklessly about yet remained contained within that space, as though bound by a magnetic force field. It struck me how much it mirrored our lives… His, mine, hers, and what could have been ours. We moved around aimlessly and without rhythm, only to merge at intervals and then retreat but never ever leaving our shared orbit. I wondered if the fallout of what I had done meant that we no longer existed like we used to. Or were we all still frozen in time? There was only one way to find out, and that was the road that would never see the soles of my feet. I picked up my pen and continued writing. This time, the coffee cup beside me lay empty with just the dark brown stains against its walls and the remnants of a once strong brew squatting at the bottom.

Unfinished

Post script: Never recreate from your memory. Always imagine new places. – From the movie Inception.



The Cloudcutter

2 comments:

Himanshu Tandon said...

I read it a number of times before I thought I was qualified to comment on it. This one flows seamlessly and I could see myself sitting on another table in that coffee shop with orange walls.

Loved the imagery and the single chain within.. Waiting for more on this.

Just a question though - why were you writing in green ink and not blue or red or black?

The Cloudcutter said...

Himanshu, I'm glad you like it but truth be told, I'm actually terrified of finishing this story.

Btw, this one is 100% fiction and the narrator is not me (though I can understand why you would think it is). Not sure why I have her writing in green ink... I guess I was just reminded of a time long ago when I used green ink to write in a diary simply because I'd run out of black and it was the only one at hand :)