Pages

Things people say to me in baking class...

I kid you not!

This happened last week:

Are you working or studying somewhere?

I'm studying...

Where?

Uhh... same place as you.

Where?

These classes, where else?

No I mean are you a student somewhere else too?

No, just here. Please get your eyes checked too!

But are you married? (See, how "masterfully" that was slipped in?)

Uhhh... no I'm not.

Awkward silence.

Is that a tattoo?

Yup

Is it permanent?

Yup

End of conversation. She hasn't spoken to me since!

I have to add here that the women don't talk to me anymore after they see my tattoo (except for my friend). The boys, of course, are a breeze ;-)

And this conversation took place today:

Three of us were talking. About marriage and live-in relationships. Another woman joins in. She doesn't hang out much with us normally.

"I think live-ins are better. Marriage changes everything," said one of my friends.

"Yeah," we all agreed.

"But why?" asked woman who doesn't hang out much with us.

"Marriage does change everything man," I said laughing out loud. "Biggest mistake I ever made."

(I have to add here that we were just messing around because this woman was maha scandalised that my friend lives with her boyfriend.)

"Oh? You got married?" she asks me.

"Yup."

"And then what happened?"

"Nothing. It ended."

"Oh my god, when did you get divorced?"

"Right now, I'm in the middle of it."

"Did you have any kids?"

"No."

"So now you're going to be alone for the rest of your life?"

I stopped laughing.

And the next thing I said really surprised me...

"Why do you assume I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life?"

By then my friend jumped in...

"What nonsense are you talking, her life is just beginning now. She has her whole life ahead, and she won't be alone.." she said winking.

Then I said, "You know you can be lonely even when you're married and with someone."

She looked at me, looked at my friends, and said, "You know what, she is right. You can be lonely even with a bloody husband. That is so true."

Yup, she's married and the first time we spoke she told me she joined the baking classes because she was "just fed up of life."

Damn, I did surprise myself there with my answer. When I was saying those words out loud, I could actually picture myself with someone.

It was a pretty hazy vision and I was peeling some garlic so I can't be too sure. But I did picture myself with someone. Ok, so it must have been a dog.

No, I'm not complaining. One step closer to my dream. Woohoo!!!

And this is the song I've been listening to all day.

Well it's all right, when you're riding around in the breeze
Well it's all right, if you live the life you please
Well it's all right, even if the sun don't shine
Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line

The Cloudcutter

9 comments:

Nu said...

lovely lyrics at the end ! What's this issue of being married or single or living-in ? It's all individual and we must let the people be..hai na ? Guess few people just don't get it !

The Cloudcutter said...

@Nu - It's from End of the Line by The Traveling Wilburys. Listen to it, it's great!
About the post - it's not an issue really. Just varying opinions I suppose. I have no problem with that. Just thought it would be interesting to write about.

The knife said...

great post. reminded me of catch 22. started off woody allenish and ended in a grim way. slightly different chats from when I was in school :)

mentalie said...

argh! the only thing that's ever surprised me around a nosy git is the things i don't say or do %#@%$! you're too nice for your own good, CC.

BlueMist said...

I like the vibes and things starting on good notes. Way to go CC. What ever may be the way as long as one is happy and content that's all matters. Me thinks. Loved those lines.

The Cloudcutter said...

@Knife - Ended in a grim way? Didn't mean it to. Me ending up with a dog would be a dream come true for me, believe it or not!

@Mentalie - Can't help or change the way people think. If that woman cannot understand the way I lead my life, I can't understand her's either. So to each his/her own. And no, I'm not very nice. I can even prove it :-)

@BlueMist - Thank you. Click on the link and listen to the song. Or download the original - it's End of the Line by The Traveling Wilburys. I could not find it on youtube.

Pat said...

She sounded like she was yattering on from nerves. Possibly not used to having people to talk to.
Am I the only person who can't recognise the article on your home page? Almost a bra?

The Cloudcutter said...

@Pat - You're bang on about her. What article? You mean the header pic? That's a Tibetan prayer flag fluttering in the wind. It was taken in Sikkim.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Maybe they, the women, want to make friends but don't know how to. Maybe they're judgemental or maybe not. You never can tell with people. One of my students showed my her tattoo and I asked tons of questions only because I'm curious, not judging her or anything, honest.